darren wilson, BFA, R.G.D.
Design & Communications Consultant, Creative Director
Leverage over a decade of experience in strategic creative, design and technology consulting to work as part of a world-class creative team in a top agency or consulting environment.
- The ability to lead a creative team in developing innovative solutions to clients’ business challenges
- Strong client-management and presentation skills
- Excellent oral, written and visual communication
- Media agnostic creative development, from concept through design and execution in print, motion and interactive
February 2004 to present:
Principal, darren wilson: strategic // creative // communications
As an independent consultant, i work in both a direct client-serving role as well as in a consulting capacity for other firms in the areas of design, branding, communications, information architecture and user experience. Clients included Tourism BC, London Health Sciences Centre, America Online, McCain Foods and GlaxoSmithKline, either in direct relationships or as a contractor through their agencies, such as Sonar Group, OVE Design, Cossette Communications and T4G.
March 2005 to June 2010:
Vice President and Creative Director, Sonar Mediathink
As VP & Creative Director, my role included developing and maintaining client relationships while working with a strategic creative team to lead the development of provocative, breakthrough creative solutions across multiple media, including radio, TV, print, interactive, video and live events. I also managed the growth and development of my creative staff, and encouraged collaboration within the creative team as well as with account management, clients and suppliers. Clients included Mackenzie Investments, Investors Group, The CUMIS Group, Lindt & Sprüngli, Procter & Gamble and Visa Canada.
May 2001 to February 2004:
Senior Consultant, Capgemini
As a client-serving art director/designer and consultant, my roles and responsibilities were many, from research and proposal development through design leadership roles on various branding, strategy and user experience projects for clients such as Bell Canada, Ontario Power Generation, Standard & Poor’s and America Online.
1998 to 2008:
Course Director/Instructor, York University
Since 1998, i have been a part-time faculty member in the Department of Design (Faculty of Fine Arts) at York University. The challenge of leading a group of students through theoretical exercises and assignments based on real-world projects has proven to be valuable experience in developing leadership and communication skills. Key achievements include working with other faculty members to develop new courses and expand the Department’s offerings, including Type Design, Motion Graphics and Corporate Identity Design. Courses taught or directed include 2D and 3D Design, Typography, Corporate Identity and senior-level Design Workshop utilizing print, interactive and time-based media.
1995 to 2001:
Senior Designer, Reactor Art + Design Limited
My role as a Senior Designer in a very flexible studio environment allowed me to stretch into design and art direction roles for clients in many sectors and executing across many media. Key deliverables included branding and visual identities (GroceryGateway.com, Delta Hotels, Canada Toll Free, Infotriever, Cadillac Fairview Corporation, among others), corporate communications pieces, including annual reports, sales and marketing collateral materials, and design for advertising, editorial, packaging & promotions across print, broadcast and Web.
1994 to 1995:
Junior Designer, Russell Design Inc.
As a Junior Designer, i learned a tremendous amount about branding, strategy and communications from some of the most respected practitioners in the business.
- Advertising and Design Club of Canada
- Work selected to appear in RGD Ontario’s Design at Work juried exhibition
- Speaking engagements for Comdex Canada and Multimedia Tradeshows
- Invited to jury for the Applied Arts awards, Verso magazine and Design at Work
- Wired, Applied Arts, New Jersey Monthly, Saturday Night Magazine
1990-1994 Bachelor of Fine Arts (Specialized Honours), York University
- Studied design, typography, communication theory, among other areas
- Graduated First Class Honours with Distinction
- Training programs in facilitated session leadership, structured thinking and communications
- Self-directed learning to upgrade skills in Design, communications and technology development
- Registered Graphic Designer
(member of The Association of Registered Graphic Designers of Ontario)
- References available upon request